Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The H1N1 Shot...to take or not to take???

25 weeks 3 days...

As everybody knows the news and newspapers have been going crazy about the H1N1 or as they like to call it "Swine Flu". It has me scared to death to take the shot and scared not to take it...so which way do I turn?

If I take this they say a possible side effect is neurological problems. Do I want to take that kind of chance w/Clay?? Especially since what happened w/just loosing a baby last year. They haven't even completed the testing of these vaccines and it's brand new...how do they know what kind of side effects it might or might not have? I'm thinking they are going to have to show my some positive stats before they tell me "it's safe".

They say you might have to get 2-3 shots for this vaccine to be effective AND if you get them early (like Oct.) you might be vaccinated against it by Thanksgiving...however they say Indiana isn't suppose to get their 1st rounds until November. So ya...if I do take the shot I'm giving come antibodies to the baby but not all of them.

I could see where I'm lean more toward taking it IF Crystal was in preschool and around a lot of other kids OR I worked in a place w/coworkers...but neither of those fit me...Crystal's not in school and I work all by myself. Plus I plan on NOT doing any Christmas shopping after Clay makes his arrival because of him being a newborn and all this stuff going around. I have the Internet and can finish my shopping online if I need. And as far as grocery shopping...we go 2 times a month and if need be...I'll send Jeremy after it and Lysol him down before he walks in the door...lol!

Last year I opted NOT to get the regular flu shot while I was pregnant w/Mason and didn't regret it because I didn't get the flu during the entire season. ..nor did Crystal or Jeremy and they didn't get the flu shot either. I've only had the flu twice (that I know of) in my whole life. One time that I had it...I had to get the flu shot because I was working as a CNA on the 5th floor @ the hospital...and I actually ended up getting the flu twice that year.

I know I will talk to my doctor and also Crystal's doctor (because she'll be Clay's too) alot before making a final decision...but I would much rather take extraordinary precautions or live like a hermit before putting a this vaccine into me and having something happen to Clay.

So...whoever reads this...if you were in my position...what would you do? My heart if telling me no but the media is saying yes...I just don't want to make the wrong decision and do what's healthy for my baby.

3 comments:

  1. oh girl, we have been discussing this around our house the past few weeks. i didn't get the flu shot (the regular one) while pregnant last year either. the one time i got the flu shot is the year i got sick w/ the flu too. i don't feel comfortable putting this new vaccine into my body when they have no idea what it will do to an unborn child. i'm scared not to get it, but i think i'm more scared to get it. of course i'm going to talk to my OB before i make a final decision, but i'm leaning towards no...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to your heart and do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to decide...but they are saying that those that care for children,esp 6 months and younger, should get one. However, not being pregnant anymore makes my decision easier. Just do what you think you should...it probably helps also that Crystal or you are around other people much. I work in a public office, and both the kiddos are in daycare (however, it is a home daycare). Good luck with your decision Kali :)

    ReplyDelete